Please welcome our newest contributor – Kylie! Here she is in her own words, “I’m living The Life of Kylie. I’ve gone through a bazillion changes the past few years. I’m pushing 40 (40!), and have a new child, new husband, new step-kids, new home, new career, and a seven-year old daughter who is not so thrilled with all these new things. I’m a grammar geek, work-at-home mom, public health consultant, and wannabe blogger.* (Yes, I insist upon using the Oxford comma.)” For the record, I also enjoy the Oxford comma, a great deal more than I should, so I totally understand this sentiment! Follow Kylie on her blog, Pinterest, and where she writes about public health issues. Click the ‘Vegangelism‘ link in the menu for vegan recipes and commentary she sometimes post about news items or books. Welcome Kylie!
Bánh Mì, how I crave thee.
Bánh Mì s a baguette sandwich that exemplifies the fusion of Vietnamese and French cuisine. Merci, colonialism.
French ingredients include crusty baguette and mayonnaise, while the Vietnamese ingredients include cilantro, cucumber, shredded carrots and daikon radish. And heat! Lots of heat from hot peppers. Many forms of protein can be used: paté, pork, eggs, tofu, and seitan are all traditional (at least according to Wikipedia).
Vegan Bánh Mì Recipe for Two…or one really hungry you.
- 2 petit pains or 5-6 inch sections of baguette (“French bread”)
- vegan mayonnaise, such as Vegenaise, or avocado
- generous handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- thin slices of cucumber (julienne or slightly larger)
- shredded carrot (you can marinate this ahead of time in a little lemon juice and sesame oil)
- shredded daikon radish, cabbage, or crunchy lettuce
- 1 or 2 jalapeños or other hot peppers, cut in long strips
- vegan protein of your choice: tofu, seitan, tempeh or faux meat, plain or marinated. I used “Chickenless Pulled Chicken” from Trader Joe’s.
Slice a concave or wedge-shaped cut into the bread, sort of like a canoe. (This ain’t your mama’s sub sandwich!)
Coat both sides of bread with Vegenaise or avocado.
Place cilantro, carrots, lettuce/radish/cabbage, cucumber, and jalapeños into the impression in the bread:
Top with the vegan protein of your choice:
Place the top of the baguette, well, on top.
Hold it tight. Squeeze it together–things could get messy!
Start thinking about the next time you can make this.