Hello everyone! I’m always so happy to share new vegan bloggers and this blog happens to be from my province of Ontario. Please meet Kristofir and Christopher who are the brains behind Vegiterra. What is their blog about? Here they are in their own words.
“Vegiterra is a vegan recipe blog and a pop-up vegan restaurant that offers creative worldly vegan flavours at events in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton areas. It was started just this year by Kristofir (the culinary mastermind) and Christopher (the operations guru), with wonderful support from family and friends.”
- 2 giant sweet potatoes, cut into thin chunks
- water for steaming and boiling
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Salt to taste
- Steam the sweet potatoes over boiling water for approximately 10 minutes, or until the sweeties are soft. Tip* to add an extra boost of flavour, add a few star anise pods, lime leaves, or cinnamon sticks while steaming. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, mash the sweet potato into a paste.
- In a large bowl, mix sweet potato paste, flour, nutmeg and salt and kneed into a smooth ball of dough. If the dough is still sticky, add more flour.
- Chill for one hour. Chilling dough makes it easier to work with.
- Boil a large pot of salted water.
- Roll small pieces of dough in your hands and drop them into the water.
- Boil for a few minutes until they float to the surface.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to cool so that you can handle them.
- Toss the gnocchi in panko bread crumbs so they are evenly coated.
- In a large frying pan, or deep fryer, heat some vegetable oil and gently place each breaded gnocchi in the oil.
- Cook until golden brown.